Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Debate Smackdown Leads to Peace, Love, and Harmony



If you want to inject instant energy and warm-fuzzies into a room, you need to try holding debates. I know that this seems counter intuitive: argument=positive bonding. But I have a working theory on this one.

To begin with, it is a group activity with clearly defined roles, each of which relies on the others. I set up my debates almost like extended essays. There is an opening statement with a hook that introduces the main points of the argument. There is also a person who goes about the process of defending these arguments using ethos, pathos, and logos. The rebuttal works to predict and undermine the arguments of the other team. And the conclusion brings it all home. You can see the graphic organizers here. The students must truly collaborate in order to even remotely make sense. Also, during the actual debate there is a large amount of peer pressure to do your best since your team is relying on you. Many kids really rise to the challenge, and I am often surprised by the one's that shine. Since I don't let the students choose who they work with (they vote privately about which topic they want to argue), they often work someone they don't know well. This helps to boost the family atmosphere I love in a classroom.


Another reason that debates breed positivity is that they initially cause some anxiety and fear. This might sound completely crazy, but hear me out. All of those pent up nerves get released when the students actually argue their part in front of the class. In their place, I think the kids get a rush of endorphins similar to the ones I felt when I went bungee jumping years ago! The atmosphere post-debate is electric. The kids tend to be brimming with compliments for each other. In the midst of that you are able to have some very honest conversations about how to overcome fears, and how to be successful in areas that aren't your strongest. I loved it today when a student said he was surprised by another because she was always so quiet in class, but had one of the best arguments. When I asked him what the lesson was, he responded, "I know she is a hard worker. She probably prepared more than any of us. So I think maybe she used her strength in another area to help her in an area she is not strong." The girl was positively GLOWING because this was authentic praise. Also, all of the students were able to learn an invaluable life lesson from one of their peers.


Finally, I make Debate Day fancy. I bring in cookies and we have guest judges. I know that extra touches like this show the kids that their work is worth the spotlight and is worth the attention of others. Praise from complete strangers far outweighs my praise.

Today we debated two topics: the purpose of education is teach students job skills, and the best way to ensure equality is through government intervention. These tied in nicely to our study of DuBois and Booker T. Washington, but I also picked them because - well - they are interesting.


At the end of each period I had at least 2-3 students asking me when we would debate again. This is despite the fact that some were so nervous they literally hyperventilated, despite the fact that they had to conduct authentic research and create a works cited, and despite the fact that they had to work with students who were not their best friends.

Mrs. Raville - 1, Fuddie Duddies - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment