Thursday, February 20, 2014

20% Time Research Projects

The projects are rolling along! Some of the ideas, and more importantly some of the progress, really just blows my mind. I am loving how the kids are taking complete control of their projects. And, hey, most have to because honestly I couldn't help them anyway (I am thinking of you Lane).

One aspect of the this project that I am really emphasizing is the importance of getting better, learning more, and improving. My English curriculum includes extensive research standards, so I decided to tie my usual research project to the 20% Time projects. The students already formulated some research questions on their proposals - some needed some work, but it's all good. Now, the students are using Internet to find reliable sources to answer the research questions. I use a checklist to help students to analyze whether or not an Internet source is appropriate for research. I think that instead of fighting the Internet as a source of information, it is infinitely more important to help students become intelligent consumers of information on the Internet.

After the students find their sources, and ensure they are reliable, they begin creating research note cards. They also create a works cited page that will eventually become a part of their final research paper. The source analysis, note cards, and works cited page make up the first part of the research project.


Once this assignment is done, the students will write a formal research paper. So far, this has been the most excited students have ever been about researching - and I know it is because they are researching a topic that they already want to know more about. I am working right now to figure out exactly how I want the students to share their research. Perhaps a gallery walk...

No comments:

Post a Comment